Sunday, July 27, 2014

2014 St. Louis World Naked Bike Ride

2014 St. Louis World Naked Bike Ride



On 7/26/2014 I rode naked through the streets of St. Louis for the sixth time.  Each time is unique as the first time.  The experience is a rush, is breathtaking, is freeing and an all around fantastic time.  I’ve been scuba diving, jumped out of a plane and piloted my own plane but nothing comes close to letting it all fly in the wind.  I’ll try to explain how this all feels but you will never fully comprehend how transcendental it all can be.

The ride begins for me in February since I am part of the planning committee to whatever extent they need me.  This year I was more of the social media lil bitch and posted items as needed to keep the riders up to date.  I posted tid bits or any pieces of interest to build and keep the interest alive.  Believe it or not there is more than choosing a route and stripping off clothes.  You have to cross all t’s and dot all I’s all the while having the city’s interests and riders interests at heart.  It’s not always easy to balance.  There will always be a few items that some will critique on or even complain.  We do our best.



Once the day of the ride arrives I’m at a point of just wanting it over with.  I’ve seen the date in the future so many times and have looked over any items hundreds of times.  I’ve also answered many of the same questions more times than I care to.  I have to remind myself why the first time I rode and try to regain the newness of the ride.  I always make it a mission to be the first naked person in the gathering location.  There are always a little bit of precautions each year to hold off on nudity right away.  There is always someone who disregards it and I tend to be the second naked person in the area.  Oh well.

When I finally drop that thong to the ground and start to walk the streets naked, I’m in my element.  I become part exhibitionist and part voyeur.  I’ve been naked and seen naked so many times.  I’ve seen so many people naked in my life.  At times I feel I’m desensitized to it all.  That part I do not like.  I still want it to be new and exciting.  I know it’s not a big deal to be naked but that little kid comes out and I have to accept it.  One part of being an open nudist it to dispel the fears and hang ups many people have with being nude or seeing a nude person.  What can I do to get society to overcome the fears and stereotypes ?  I may put too much on my own shoulders?  As much as I may be naked I still can’t let go of some things.  I want all to be comfortable and at ease with the whole subject. 

Now that I over thunk it all, I can get on my bike and ride in a massive pack of clothing optional, fun loving peeps.  Its part bike ride and part parade.  The bars and hotels empty out and the cars stop in the streets to honk and smile.  I’ve never seen so many cell phones hanging out car windows.  It seems the crowds along the streets approve or at least watch like a car wreck going by.

I love the feeling and sight of the finish line. Yay, I can get off this sweaty bike seat and drink a lil to relax.  Should I roam the streets naked or bar hop.  I do a little of both.  I have to spread myself thin to meet all the friends that are doing all of the above.  It still is a trip to walk around a bar completely naked and have clothed people getting a beer right alongside.  I love how they act natural and play it cool.  Wonder what they are thinking.


There is always that part in the night where I have to end it all and get dressed.  I hate it .  I despise it.  Ok, a few times I denied it and drove home naked.  It’s not the first time and won’t be the last.  I’ll live off the feeling for about a month until I think of what’s next on the naked front.  I hope to see you all there next year .  Now why didn’t I come home with all the clothes I wore down there?

1 comment:

  1. You said it all right there Spencer! Thanks for all you and the others do to make this happen. I'm a nudist, voyeur, exhibitionist all rolled into one. To be naked in public with the public's approval is indeed a rush! I like to look and love to be seen. This was my second year, coming all the way from Nashville(I lived in St. Louis many years). Will be back next year for sure!

    ReplyDelete